Hosta Trade Names
Trade names are sometimes used in the nursery industry as common names for various hosta cultivars. These names should be in all capital letters and quotation marks should not be used.
However, they often are improperly written with single quotes like cultivar names. Here are the most commonly found trade names.
- BLUE GIANT ('Sieboldiana Elegans')
- GOLD CROWN ('Fortunei Aureomarginata')
- POLAR MOON ('Clifford's Polar Moon')
- SILVER CROWN ('Fortunei Albomarginata')
- SILVER VARIEGATED ('Undulata')
- TWINKLES ('Fortunei Aurea')
- WHITE BAND ('Undulata Albomarginata')
- YELLOW BAND ('Fortunei Aureomarginata')
A hosta name is occasionally trademarked and is indicated so by using "TM" after the name. If a trademark name is filed with the USPTO,
then a ® symbol is shown afterward. Trademarked names are generally capitalized, just like trade names. Below is a list of names which have been trademarked, including some which have been dropped.
- DESIGNER HOSTASTM- Walters Gardens
- FROSTY RIBBONS® ('MonLisa' PP#25,958) - Monrovia Nursery Co.
- HEAVEN SCENTTM ('Heaven Scent')- Walters Gardens
- NORTHERN HALOTM ('Northern Halo')- Walters Gardens
- NORTHERN LIGHTSTM ('Northern Lights')- Walters Gardens
- NORTHERN MISTTM ('Northern Mist')- Walters Gardens
- NORTHERN SUNRAYTM ('Northern Sunray')- Walters Gardens
- SILVER STARTM (rectifolia 'Ginbuchi Tachi')- K. Muroya/ Q & Z Nursery
- SUNDANCERTM ('Bersun')- Leo Berbee
- SUNHOSTA TM('Host Sun 08') - Bernard Chodyla
- WHITE SHOULDERSTM ('White Shoulders')- Walters Gardens